I don’t have version 4.5 installed on my car yet, but I am excited about one particular feature – adjustable charging. There are two settings called “daily” and “trip”. “Daily” perhaps used for around town driving and the “trip” for a road trip. This feature allows you to keep the charge lower for routine driving. A lower state of charge helps preserve battery life. The screen shot implies that the owner would specify daily somewhere between 50-90% charge, and trip driving above that range. The longer trip driving would be used for the less frequent times when you need a full charge.
I like this charge control for another reason – keeping the car at a lower state of charge for vacations. The daily setting could be lowered to a 50% charge while on vacation. This control is even better than the Roadster’s Vacation Storage Mode. The old vacation setting didn’t maintain a state of charge to a particular amount.
Here is the screenshot I found on the web.
Other 4.5 features include
- Supercharger locations on the map application
- All previous charging locations will be stored for easy navigation
- Higher resolution font for the maps
- Configurable contacts sorting by first or last name
- Normal and maximum defrost mode for front windshield
- When plugged in, the car will use energy from the source not the battery to cool the car or other functions.
- Fixed a battery heating bug. Explanation a bit unclear in the release notes.